Lighting Department Manager – Vista, CA
The Lighting Department Manager reports directly to the Director of Operations. This position manages a team of 3 to 6 technicians to plan, prep and maintain the quality of lighting equipment delivered to shows around the country. The position works closely with production management, other departments, and other lighting team members to ensure consistent quality for every project. Selected candidate will also assist/engineer shows, as necessary.
- Assist in the selection and design of lighting equipment responding to the needs of our clients, based on budgetary guidelines and accepted technical standards
- Assist with creating and updating lighting plots
- Coordinate project requirements with other departments, clients, and venues, including equipment, rigging, power, labor and shipping schedules as required
- Generate show specific equipment Pull Sheets within inventory control software (FLEX)
- Work with Warehouse Manager and Technicians to ensure all equipment pulls, packaging and labeling are accurate and in accordance with the pull sheets
- Unload, set up and tear down, load equipment for shows as needed
- Direct lighting crews in show-site activities as required, maintaining workplace, project and site safety always
- Follow procedures pertaining to preventative equipment loss measures
- Maintain and service equipment as necessary, providing service logs and schedules
- Coordinate special projects, including research and recommendations for purchase of specialty lighting related items for show applications
- Maintain sufficient equipment and supplies stock to ensure the on-going needs of the production
- Maintain a safe, organized, clean, and neat warehouse environment
- Provide training/tutoring for staff on your department’s procedures, including equipment preparation, set-up, operation, removal, QC, troubleshooting and repair
- Assume duties of co-workers throughout company as needed
- Familiarity with lighting equipment
- Computer literacy including basic networking
- Math aptitude
- Project management
- Knowledge of warehouse operations
- A strong attention to detail
- Ability to work cooperatively with team members and other departments
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and be proactive
- Experience operating a forklift and materials handling equipment
- Planning, organization, and problem solving
- Must be able to lift, carry, move, and place up to 50 pounds as needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Assist with loading and unloading equipment into trucks
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays
- High School Diploma or GED minimum, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Three plus (3+) years of experience in lighting production for live events, including hands-on experience with power, moving lights, LED and lamp fixtures, dimmers, controllers, truss, rigging and chain motors
- Proficient in using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Have excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as CAD Drawing, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and maintain a respectful and positive work environment
- Ability to operate scissor lift and forklift preferred
- Must provide acceptable documents that establish both identity and employment authorization.
- As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.
Up to 20
Salary & Benefits
- Paid vacation
- Life insurance
- 401k program
Openings available in: